NEW INFORMATION TO BE AWARE OF:
June 27, 2012 - Scouting Service Application Deadline Extended
Event Operators are being asked to providing the information below to the scouting services that will be in attendance at their July 2012 NCAA- certified event(s). As of June 1, 2012, NCAA Division I member institutions are only permitted to subscribe to scouting services in men's basketball, football and women's basketball that are approved through the NCAA scouting service approval process.
Multiple scouting services missed the May 31, 2012, deadline to apply because they were not aware of the certification requirements. Given that this is the first year in which it is mandatory for a scouting service to be certified by the NCAA, the deadline for a service to apply has been extended until 11:59 pm Eastern Time on August 15, 2012.
This is a one-time exception and under no circumstances will a service be permitted to apply after that deadline. Similarly, after the 2012 application period has closed, all deadlines will be strictly enforced and no consideration will be given to circumstances that resulted in a service missing the deadline to apply. The application period for 2013 will be between April 1, 2013, and 11:59 pm Eastern time on May 31, 2013, with NO exceptions.
Information about the scouting service certification process and a link to the application is available with the following link:
Scouting Service Application
Campus Use for Women’s Events for Prospects.
Evaluations at noninstitutional events, camps or clinics that occur on a Division I campus are prohibited. The effective date is immediate but contracts signed prior to June 28, 2011 may be honored. However, please be aware that while a contract signed before June 28, 2011, will allow an event to occur on a Division I campus; Division I coaches would still be prohibited from attending the event in that adopted legislation states “Evaluations at noninstitutional events, camps or clinics that occur on a Division I campus are prohibited.”
November 1, 2011
MENS CALENDAR CHANGES
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors took action at their October 27, 2011, meeting that will affect the men’s basketball recruiting calendar. The men’s basketball recruiting model recommended by the Leadership Council was adopted for full implementation by August 1, 2012. The suggested changes to the recruiting model include the restrictions outlined below.
- Evaluations at certified nonscholastic events is permitted on two weekends.
- Neither weekend can fall on ACT/SAT (April 14, 2012) testing dates or Easter (April 8, 2012).
- Events must be subject to NCAA certification program, which should include an additional requirement that the event may not begin before Friday 6 pm and must conclude no later than Sunday 4 pm.
- Final Four is March 31 and April 2; so that weekend is dead.
- Easter = April 8, 2012
- ACT/SAT = April 14, 2012
- NCAA-certified men’s events can occur on April 20-22 and April 27-29.
- Evaluations at nonscholastic certified events are permitted during a total of 12 days in July; the 12 days would consist of three four-day periods (with intervening dead periods) that run from Wednesday at 5 pm to Sunday at 5 pm.
- The evaluation period would consist of the first three four-day periods (Wednesday 5 p.m. – Sunday 5 p.m.) beginning with the first Wednesday on or after July 6.
- NCAA-certified men’s events can occur from July 11 at 5pm to July 15 at 5pm; from July 18 at 5pm to July 22 at 5pm; and from July 25 at 5pm to July 29 at 5pm.
WOMENS CALENDAR CHANGES
Women’s dates are also being discussed, but have not changed yet. The certification staff has been told that changes are not anticipated for the women in 2012, which would mean NCAA-certified women’s events can occur July 6-15 and 22-31. The women’s model is being targeted for changes in 2013 at this point. However, this statement is true at this moment, but could always change.
September 2011 - Possible Recruiting Calendar Changes
The NCAA Division I governance structure is currently reviewing the men’s and women’s basketball recruiting models. This review is a comprehensive evaluation of the recruiting landscape in the sport of Men’s and Women’s basketball. Issues under consideration include possible modifications to when Division I coaches may evaluate prospective student-athletes and when coaches may attend NCAA certified events for the purposes of evaluation. Changes in that regard may impact the dates Division I Coaches will be able to attend NCAA certified events, such as those conducted during the month of July. Modifications to the recruiting model, if adopted by the Division I Board of Directors, may be effective as early as April 2012 and impacting July 2012 certified events.
June 2011 - Due to 2011-12 ACT and SAT Test Dates, the certification period for the 2011-12 academic year is forced to move. See: Test Dates and Recruiting Calendar Information.